Monday 27 August 2018

Think you can’t run? Think again


I have run half marathons, in fact I have run most of my adult life.  But a couple of years ago I decided that I couldn’t run any more.  My back hurt and I was getting old.  And I left it at that. 

Then more and more of my clients started running.  They told me about their progress and we worked hard on their stamina, combined with some resistance training.  I felt jealous and decided that the only thing stopping me running was the voice in my head that kept telling me that I couldn’t do it.  I downloaded the NHS ‘Coach to 5k’ app and got a grip. 

The first few days were a heady mix of excitement and fear.  Would I be able to do it?  Would my back hurt?  Would I have to give up?  Then I decided to change the voice (in fact the app tells you to do that).  I changed to ‘this is good. I am enjoying this.  I can run’.  From that shaky 3 minute run I have surprised myself.  I followed the app, running on the treadmill, day after day.  Thank you to those of you that noticed and offered encouragement.  Slowly I built up the distance and then I was off.  I ran outside.  OK, so I’m not fast, but I can raise a sweat and its quicker than walking.  I have gradually built up the distance and its now well over 5 k and I feel terrific.  I feel good physically and also mentally.  The sense of achievement is fantastic.  Its what I always say, you never know what you can do until you try.  Give it a go – surprise yourself ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment