Saturday 18 July 2020

Eating an elephant

I don’t know about you, but I feel that I have eaten a fair few elephants during lockdown.  When all there was to do was eat  - that’s what I did.

I was thinking about this as a started my crossword today (bear with me – I’m going somewhere with this) – Friday it was – the compiler on Friday is a tough one and it was a hard puzzle.  I glanced through the clues – no answers at all sprang to mind.  Now on a good day I can sail through and often fill in most straight off.  I therefore decided that I couldn’t do the crossword and I might as well abandon it.

Then I thought of my elephants – of course I didn’t eat each elephant at one sitting – I ate them bit by bit – but I got through them.

So I tackled each crossword clue one at a time and began to fill in the grid – one clue helping the next one along.  Gradually I managed to do a few clues, then I left it for a while and came back and I could do a few more.  Some clues I knew I would never get (I looked those up!) – but I managed nearly all of them – I did it bit by bit.

Why am I telling you this?  Because that’s how we are all going to return to fitness – bit by bit.  If we hit the gym on the first day that we can and try to do everything at once we won’t succeed but if we gradually tackle one bit and then another – we will get there.  There will be things we can’t do and some bits will be tough – but if we persevere – all will be well.

Its only an elephant and you know you can get through it – now – does anyone know what 6 down is? 

No comments:

Post a Comment